The league competition commenced in 1992 between founder members Surbiton, Coombe Wood and Wimbledon Park Golf Clubs. By invitation, Guildford and Leatherhead Golf Clubs joined the league in 1994, Roehampton Golf Club joined in 2000 and Clandon Regis Golf Club joined in 2002. Wimbledon Park were replaced by Merrist Wood in 2003, The Drift replaced Roehampton in 2006 and Coombe Wood left in 2006. Surrey Downs Golf Club joined in 2008. The name ‘Waffrons’ was the original name of Surbiton Golf Club when it was founded in 1895.
The concept was and still is, to continue the social aspects of contact with local clubs with the added impetus of competitive golf.